I did for about a year! (Fun fact: I went vegan this time last year!)
But I'm here to tell you that vegan rice krispies treats CAN and DO exist!
"But how?? You make rice krispies with marshmallows, and don't marshmallows have gelatin?" You may ask...
AH... the wonders of the plant kingdom. Your powers never cease to amaze me...
It just seriously blows my mind how you can create anything out of plant foods. The only thing you can manipulate meat to taste like is, well, meat...
I never thought that marshmallows can be completely vegan and taste just like regular marshmallows. The versatility of soy, especially, is just unbelievable. Another piece of evidence that being vegan does NOT mean that you have to give up any of your favorite foods!
HAVE A FUN EASTER EVERYONE!!!
Makes a dozen squares
- 3 tablespoons unrefined virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (10 oz.) bag Dandies all natural marshmallows
- 5 cups crisp rice cereal (or gluten free brown rice cereal)
- line baking dishes with parchment paper
- melt coconut oil over medium heat on a large skillet
- add vanilla extract
- stir and melt marshmallows on medium high heat
- once marshmallows are melted, lower to medium heat
- mix in rice cereal a cup at a time until evenly coated
- spoon mixture on to baking dishes and gently press top surface evenly
- cool and take a bite!
TIP: These treats are best served warm freshly after cooking, but if they cool and become hard, simply microwave for 15 seconds on a plate to get them soft and chewy again!
Let me know what you think about this recipe and how your Easter went below!