I'm helping you ring in the new year with this authentic Chinese recipe that is perfect as an appetizer or side dish to spice up any family gathering or weeknight dinner.
Serves 4 - 6 as appetizer/side dish
- 1 cup dry organic soybeans - "huang dou" 黄豆
- 1 tbsp organic Szechuan peppercorn - "hua jiao" 花椒
- 3 organic star anise - "ba jiao" 八角
- 2-3 tbsp organic soy sauce - "jiang you" 酱油
- 1 tsp salt - "yian" 盐
- soak soybeans in water at least 5 hours or overnight. They will expand to double their dry size after soaking.
- drain most of the water from the soybeans, leaving enough to cover more than half of soybeans, then place in a small pot
- add all other ingredients to pot
- boil and simmer for at least half an hour with lid covered until soy beans are soft, stirring occasionally (more cooking time = more flavor)
- remove as much of the star anise and Szechuan peppercorns before serving on small side dishes (do not directly eat these spices as they are very strong in taste)
- refrigerate leftovers for up to three days